Hello, May long weekend. We’re happy to see you, because we have many happy plans.
Michelle is heading to a friend’s wedding in Edmonton and then meeting up with her family to open the cabin for the summer. If she’s as hungover as she expects to be, her contribution to putting in the pier will be summed up as, “A little to the left.”
Chris will be asleep the whole weekend, recovering from this week’s trip and bracing for next week.
As for today’s hot list, here goes:
- This Calgary Herald story about fashion blogs, written by Theresa Tayler, made us oh so happy. We were thrilled to be included in the list of great sites.
- Jelly Modern Doughnuts, the new shop on 14th Ave and 8th St. S.W., is adorable. It also produces fine-tasting doughnuts that come in a range of amazing flavours, like lemon curd and peanut butter and jam. Michelle opted for the “seasonal doughnut,” which had a delicious raspberry filling. Her only regret was opting for the mini size, as she could’ve polished off the big one, no problem.
- William Fitzsimmon’s latest album, Gold In The Shadow. Michelle has been listening to it loudly all week, according to her former roomie/now-neighbour, Jen, who can hear the tunes wafting out of her balcony doors. Good thing Jen loves the album, too.
- Mark July 1 in your calendars. It’s a holiday, yes, but it’s also the day a cool new food stop, called Koob, will open its doors on 4th St. S.W. Think kabobs and tasty sauce wrapped in pita. Michelle sampled a Koob kabob (that’s fun to say) at a fundraiser last week and was impressed.
- Chris thanks everyone for their restaurant recommendations for her travel adventures. She’s had many a good meal over the last weeks. If Seattle figures in your travel plans, check out Matt’s in the Market, Staple and Fancy, Walrus and Carpenter and Homegrown. (Thank you, Natasha! So glad you were on my flight.) If you’re headed to Chicago, Chris recommends MK, Girl and The Goat and RL — as in Ralph Lauren. And for Vancouver, Guu Garden, the patio at the Sandbar and a sunset meal at The Boat House on Kits Beach.
- After all that food talk, some ab work is in order. May we suggest Jillian Michaels’ six-pack DVD? It’s quite awesome.
We’ll be back on Tuesday, friends. Have a fantastic long weekend.