Most days, I can’t wait to hit the gym. For the days when I’m feeling the urge to bail on my workout — and need extra motivation to exercise — I employ one of the following tactics. Don’t judge.
- I think about how I’ll hit less traffic if I head to the gym after work. My drive home is a nightmare.
- I make plans to meet a friend — I love meeting up with my co-Toque, Chris — at the gym. Even if we do our own workouts, it’s fun to be there together.
- I load my iPod shuffle with new tunes.
- I remind myself of the facts. My odds of running into cute, fit men while at the gym: high. My odds of running into them while sitting on my couch with a bag of peanut M&M’s: low. (If I belonged to a girls’-only gym, my attendance would plummet.)
- I come up with little challenges for myself, like seeing if I can pound out more consecutive pushups than the last time or can run faster intervals on the treadmill.
- I use a workout from iTunes, complete with a coach to talk me through the routine and music to keep me motivated. (I have an old OK Go Nike Treadmill Workout on high rotation.)
- I think of how I’ll feel when I’m done my workout — happier than when I arrived, like in the picture below. As a rule, I don’t walk around giving random thumbs up, but, hey, I needed a picture for this blog post.