I’m heading to Los Angeles tomorrow for a long weekend consisting of a little work and a lot of play.
I’ve put some thought into my carry-on bag. Here’s what I’ll be carrying with me on the flight to L.A.:
- My passport and its girly holder.
- Crumpled up American dollars from my recent trip to San Francisco. How I have any dollars left at all after that trip is a mystery.
- Lip gloss. It’s dry up there.
- A scarf. It’s cold up there.
- A sleeping mask. Looks ridiculous, really works. And it works in two ways: it can block out the sun, enabling sleep, and it can block out an annoying neighbour, enabling your sanity. Small talk has no option but to die when you pull this thing over your eyes. I used this tactic once on my way home from Tokyo, when a chatty man intent on sharing his life views on everything from peanuts to wines from Argentina sat down next to me. Words spoken after I deployed the mask: zero. True story.
- A stack of magazines and books. One of the things I love best about traveling is the forced relaxation time. With a coffee in hand and a stack of magazines and books to read, I’m one happy girl.
- My old-school tape recorder, extra batteries and a tape. I’m living in the dark ages.
- My new classic iPod — a wonderful Christmas gift from my padres — loaded with the music I currently have on high rotation. This includes, but is not limited to, Robyn’s Body Talk series, The Swell Season, The XX, Kanye West, The Gaslight Anthem, Thunderheist, The National, Two Hours Traffic and Hawksley Workman.
As for the carry-on itself, I’ll smoosh (yes, smoosh) everything together in my beloved Latico bag. I bought this bag from Purr a couple of years ago and it’s been my trusty travel companion ever since.
Have a fantastic weekend, everyone. I’ll soak up some rays on your behalf.